The Send to Google Drive program automatically saves attachments from your Gmail messages to a folder in your Google Drive. It can save file attachments from all your Gmail messages or you specify a Gmail label, say GoogleDrive, and attachments of all messages marked with that label will get downloaded to a folder in your Google Drive.
You neither have to install any browser extensions (the program uses Google Scripts) nor do you have to grant access to your Gmail or Google Drive accounts to a third-party. And since Google Drive synchronizes with your mobile device and desktop, the saved email attachments will instantly become available on all your other devices.
Save Gmail Attachments to Google Drive Automatically
Here’s a step by step guide on how you can setup the Send to Google Drive program for your Gmail account:
- Click here to create a copy of the Google sheet in your Google Drive.
- Open the sheet and you should see a new Gmail Attachments menu at the top. Choose Authorize and grant the necessary permissions. This is an open-source Google Script) that runs in your own Google account and no one else will have access to any of your data.
- Click the same menu again and select Run. Close the Google sheet and the script will start downloading Gmail attachments to your Google Drive in the background.
The Google sheet will monitor any particular label in your Gmail mailbox in the background (every five minutes) and as soon as it finds a message that has attachments, it will automatically save all the attachments to the Gmail Files folder on your Google Drive. If you wish to download Gmail attachments in a different folder, change the value of cell D5 in the sheet.
Once the attachments have been saved, a new label is applied to the Gmail message indicating that the message has been processed. The default label name is AttSaved but you can specify a different label in cell D6.
And if you would like to stop the script, open the same Google Sheet and choose Uninstall from the Gmail Attachments menu.
Send to Google Drive – Premium Version
The premium version supports even more features:
- Nested Gmail Labels – It can monitor Gmail messages that belong to a nested Gmail folder.
- Monitor Multiple Labels – While the free version only supports one label, the premium version can help you extract attachments from one or more Gmail labels
- Google Drive Organized – The free version dumps all Gmail attachments to one Google Drive fodler while the premium version organizes them in sub-folders thus keeping your Drive cleaner and more organized.
Refer to this PDF Manual to know more about the premium version. Should you be interested, use the PayPal button to upgrade.