This is a summary of new features, bug fixes and improvements that were made to Digital Inspiration with each release. The updates are listed in reverse chronological order (the most recent is listed first).
March 02, 2014
February 16, 2014
- Switch the sidebar to fixed width (300px) viewports wider than 900px
- Showing lesser number of Related Posts.
- Hiding the page background on the small screen for improved load times.
January 26, 2014
- Implemented Twitter Cards.
- The Bookmarklets now show the “grab” icon on mouse hover.
- Improved typography, increased the default font size for better readability.
- Bug fixes for the Couch Mode.
- AdSense optimization (experimenting with different color schemes, moved ad units inline and removed the link units)
August 28, 2013
- Apple approved the Digital Inspiration podcast for listing on iTunes.
- Added video thumbnails in the sidebar using custom shortcodes.
August 06, 2013
- Upgraded to WordPress 3.6
- Included a Uservoice widget for user feedback and general support.
- Minor cosmetic changes like moved the Breadcrumbs bar below the fold.
April 24, 2013
- W3 Total Cache was not caching URLs with query parameters. Therefore switched to inline Google Custom Search.
- Added Tech Projects in the sidebar.
- Published Chrome extensions and apps for Digital Inspiration.
April 19, 2013
- Optimized CSS and Media Queries.
- Using shortcodes to serve DoubleClick Ad Exchange and Google AdSense Ads.
- Unregistered the unnecessary widgets, scripts and stylesheets.
- Made the Facebook widget asynchronous and will load only on large screens.
- Sidebar widened to accommodate both Medium and Large Rectangles.
August 12, 2012
- Added a new social sharing bar on article pages.
- Site comments load on-demand thus reducing the average load time.
August 01, 2012
- Improved site security and performance.
- Added another site search box at the bottom of every article.
- Upgraded the newsletter templates to a more mobile-friendly design.
- Upgraded the classic blogger template to a responsive design.
May 30, 2012
- Moved site comments to a separate page. They are still powered by Disqus but no longer rendered alongside posts.
- Replaced Tweet and Google+ button with static links to improve page speed.
- Switch from Google Fonts to regular Georgia font to prevent the flash of unstyled text (FOUT).
Apr 28, 2012
- Performance related enhancements.
- Added event based tracking for important actions like outgoing clicks, 404s, etc.
- Added a second search box in the sidebar.
- Cleaned social sharing options based on Google Analytics data. Removed Read It Later (now Pocket), Delicious and Google Reader.
- Added a new Subscribe to RSS button after the main content.
Mar 20, 2012
- Individual articles can be downloaded as PDF files. Using TCPDF library for generating PDF documents.
- The print requests are now tracked using Google Analytics.
Feb 21, 2012
- Added a new “Save and Share” toolbox on all article pages.
- Rewritten the code for Couch Mode – a feature that lets you read articles without the clutter similar to Readability or Evernote’s Clearly.
- Most icons and common graphics are now served in one CSS sprite except for the logo and the author’s profile image.
Feb 19, 2012
- Improved the CSS stylesheet for printing. It now adds a document summary and the copyright message in the footer of the printed document.
- Added a new Testimonials page and a Press section for tracking media mentions.
- Create new shortcodes for “tweet” and “testimonial” – I will release these as a plugin later.
Feb 14, 2012
- Removed AddThis and switched to Google Analytics for social tracking. That reduces a few JS and CSS calls (good for Page Speed) and you are no longer sharing your search logs with them.
- Switched from Hyper Cache to W3 Total Cache for WordPress caching. W3 Total Cache even minifies HTML, CSS and JS files thus reducing the number of HTTP requests and also obfuscating your source code.
Feb 08, 2012
- Added a Setup page detailing the hardware and software I use.
- Installed a couple of new WordPress Plugins including Login Logger, Bing 404 and FB Open Graph.
Feb 05, 2012
- Removed the Prefetch option from the Sitemap Pages as search bots are likely to ignore them.
- Using the ‘login_errors’ filter to throw confusing login errors to trespassers.
- Removed Facebook Comments and switched to Disqus because they can nicely be integrated with WordPress. Facebook Comments are also difficult to moderate.
Jan 30, 2012
- Switched to Responsive Design (one design for all screen sizes).